Malaga Cathedral
inside the cathedral-very similar to the Granada Cathedral
Picasso Museum
"Picasso was born in this house..."
outside of Picasso's Birthplace
I was warned that Sevilla is one of the hottest places in Spain during the summer, but this didn't stop me from going. I arrived in Sevilla and soon discovered that the heat of this city was no joke. The heat in Spain is so dry that it almost makes it unbearable to do anything. And Sevilla was 10 times worse than Granada. I did make it to the Cathedral, which was the main tourist spot. I walked up to the Giralda and was almost out of breath by the time I made it to the top. I now know that I should have visited Sevilla before the summer months arrived. It did make it nice that Sevilla has an above ground metro train that runs along the main street of town. At one metro stop I got ready to buy my ticket and a man jumped up and tried to "help" me. Later he asked for money and I just walked away while he scoped out his next target. My bus ticket back to Granada was for 7:30 and I arrived back at the bus station by 7:25, confident that the bus would still be loading. Unfortunately the one time I was late, the bus was early and actually pulling out of the platform when I arrived. I waved to the driver but he made a face that let me know he would not be stopping to let me on. Frustrated, I walked to the customer service desk where a not too helpful woman told me the next bus left at 11 PM. I was annoyed that I would have to spend 3 more hours in this hot city. I camped out at Starbucks and walked around the shopping district before heading back to the station. We were all loaded on the bus at 11 PM and while the driver was backing out we all heard a loud BANG. Turns out the driver had forgotten to close the luggage compartment and it hit the post while we backed out. Thirty minutes later, 3 bus drivers had removed the door and all of the passengers were asked to put their bags on the bus. We were off on the craziest bus ride ever. And not even 10 minutes on the bus, someone's huge suitcase falls down from the overhead compartment. The whole bus broke out in laughter. Later, we randomly stopped for a 15 minute coffee break, and kept ending up off the highway in small towns. I was sitting beside an Australian guy who was very talkative, and neither of us knew what in the world was going on with the bus ride. We finally made it back to Granada around 2:45 AM and all of the adventure came to an end.
the huge Cathedral in Sevilla
entering the Cathedral
Christopher Columbus' tomb
Side view of the tomb
enormous altarpiece
view from the giralda
the giralda
the cathedral
Plaza de Espana
the giralda
Gold Tower
No comments:
Post a Comment